Two teachings below are about the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit and how God has revealed Himself to mankind.
1. God’s name and the revelations of His name reveal His personality and attributes and of course infinitely more.
2. A portion below is from the Moody Bible book “The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit” by Rene Pache. CORRECTION: W&R Podcast previously had thought this book was by Moody/perhaps by Dwight Moody. W&R Podcast regrets this error. The book is available at this website: https://www.moodybible.org/
1. Revelations of God’s Holy Name
The only true God has one name with many revelations.
In the Old Testament, He reveals Himself with 12 primary revelations of His name. In order, they are:
Elohim – My Creator (Genesis 1:1)
Jehovah – My Lord God (Genesis 2:7)
Jehovah El-Shaddai – My Supplier (Genesis 17:4)
Adonai – My Master (Genesis 18:3)
Jehovah Jireh – My Provider (Genesis 22:8)
Jehovah Rophe – My Healer (Exodus 15:26)
Jehovah Nissi – My Banner (Leviticus 17:15)
Jehovah Mikkadesh – My Sanctifier (Leviticus 20:7-8)
Jehovah Shalom – My Peace (Judges 6:24)
Jehovah Tsidkenu – My Righteousness (Jeremiah 23:5-6)
Jehovah Rohi – My Shepherd (Psalm 23:1)
Jehovah Shammah – My Abiding Presence (Ezekiel 48:3)
Jesus Christ, the Son of God and the Lord God Almighty. Amen.
2. From “The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit” by Rene Pache
WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT? If we consider only Acts 1:8,
“Ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Spirit is
come upon you,” we might think that the Spirit is merely a
power, strength coming from God, a blessing which He grants
us. However, it is easy to demonstrate that the Holy Spirit is
more than this. He is a person.
I. THE HOLY SPIRIT ACTS AS A PERSON
Let us note some of the actions which are attributed to Him
and cannot be the expression of a power or of a thing.
1. He dwells in believers (John 14:17)
2. He teaches; He brings to remembrance (John 14:26)
3. He testifies (John 15:26)
4. He convicts of sin (John 16:8)
5. He guides into all truth; He hears, He speaks, He
shows (John 16: 13)
6. He inspires Scripture and speaks through it (Acts 1:
16; II Peter 1 :21)
7. He spoke to Philip (Acts 8:29)
8. He calls to the ministry (Acts 13:2)
9. He sends forth His servants (Acts 13:4)
10. He forbids certain actions (Acts 16:6, 7)
11. He intercedes, etc. (Rom. 8:26)